Sunday, May 31, 2009

Shower Cakes

Two cakes this weekend. Photos will follow soon. Saturday's cake was for a shower that was being held at a vineyard. The coordinator of the event wanted something elegant and simple that fit with the theme of the shower. So, we decided on off-white buttercream with a wine colored ribbon around the bottom edge of each tier. Then, piped over the buttercream we did grapes, vines, and leaves in almost the same shade of buttercream. Brad suggested we add a little color to the piped icing to make it stand out just a little. Had some trouble with the piping icing. It was very warm and I used a butter/shortening combo. But enough extra sugar helped fix that problem. The bride requested yellow cake with raspberry filling and lemon-flavored buttercream.
Today's cake is for another wedding shower. This one has a beach-y/summer-y/fun theme. So we're going with a 12" tier topped with a 10" tier. Then, I found a rather unorthodox topper for the cake. I was really struggling with design for this one. The problem was that I didn't want to re-do a design I'd already done for someone else, so I needed to incorporate elements of the beach wedding cake without copying it. Ended up finding a birdhouse at Christmas Tree Shops that's shaped like a sand castle. I figure if I use some flowers and chocolate shells in a creative enough fashion, I can make it work. Plus, the bride-to-be gets a new birdhouse out of it. I'll put parchment under the castle to keep it from touching the cake, but otherwise I won't have to do anything special. It just works!! Hopefully someone at the event will be able to take some decent photos, as my live-in photographer is working at a wedding today and had to leave before the cake was finished. This one's another marble with vanilla buttercream.

No comments:

Post a Comment